Total Pageviews

Friday, February 18, 2011

Grand Opening

          Never thought I'd start a blog, this is weird...  Ok, so the only purpose of this is to cater to House Rules, I'm sure you've already figured this out though, so I'll give a better explanation.  I don't play games, I have no one to actually play them with,k so I have become a rule aficionado and fluff bunny zealot.  Specifically in two major games: Battletech and Warhammer 40k, but also to a lesser extent Warhammer Fantasy.  I'm mostly concerned with fluffiness, to me if something isn't fluffae its boring as hell.  If I want competition and pure rule based games with little to no fluff, I go play COD.  The combination of all of the above has lead me to become an obsessive house rule crafter and seeker.  Truthfully I think I would be considered addicted *twitch,...sniffs plasticrack*.  Now I don't want to skew your perception of my gaminess, I grew up with a father that made scale military models, I love putting together a kitbashed smurf squad as much as the next guy.  But unfortunately, I can't afford to.  Additionally, I have never played a game... I know, I know, but its really not my fault, I've just never had anyone to throw down with.  I've got some 40k and Fantasy and Battletech models, most of which are painted.

          But what I really adore about these games is their background, and how I might go about fleshing out and quantifying the fluff via rules.  Now, when it comes to Battletech, there really isn't a whole lot more you could possibly improve upon rules wise, its pretty much ALL there (thanks mostly to the awesome guys at Catalyst).  But in both flavors of Warhammer, there is an astounding amount of unexplored, or (IMO) poorly explored opportunities.  And my brain waters at the thought of all the emptiness I can color in.

          So, what I plan to do with this blog is multifaceted.  Firstly I'm going to scour the net searching for ALL House Rules I can find, and post them here.  Whether its a single rule giving 5th ed Smurfs the choice of having a Terminator Command squad again, or an entire collection of excellently produced fan made books, I plan on compiling them in one place, if only to further my nefarious intentions.  Secondly, I'm going to post the veritable library of House Rules I myself have made.  And finally, the huge and likely impossible dream of uniting all 40k/ Fantasy/ Battletech House Rulers under one roof...  The House of House Rulers?  I've noticed over the past year that there have been a few places where people have attempted to bring 'brewers' together, and try to give their rules some sense of 'officialdom', but in my eyes they are all cumbersome.  Their methods are too strict, attempting to make House Rules with a 'tournament' style officiality in mind is WRONG!!  It goes against the very point of having an official ruleset respected by everyone, and then having personal rules catering to one's own view.  House Rules are just that... rules you play when you're playing in your house.  If they are good enough that everyone agrees to use them, then great.  If not, oh well, who gives a **** they're my rules anyway.

          Ya, so that's what this blog is all about, expect to see the first few posts containing links to rules soon.

Thanks for reading, I hope you stick around.
~ Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment